Nmap Development mailing list archives

Scanning Printers

From: Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon () googlemail com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:56:59 +0100

I have used nmap for quite some time and think it's one of the best
programs ever written. In fact, I've written a python program to use
nmap to continually scan my network, putting the results in an xml and
then parsing that xml and displaying the results in a web page.

However, I've noticed a problem now that I've put this into production.
When it scans a network printer, the printer spews out garbage, I have a
couple wads of paper on my desk with one or two lines of garbage at the
top of each page.

I'm running nmap as follows

nmap -sS -sV -oX /var/log/tempresults.txt -p 1-65535 -T 4 192.168.1.0/24

The thing scans everything and I get the web page with the results ok.

But now I have had to exclude the ip addresses of the network printers
to avoid this. I'm not happy because I now have a hole in my subnet scan
and results (the printer results are pretty interesting actually and I'd
like to keep them). I think this happened at my last workplace but I let
it go since I wasn't using it all the time to audit the network.

I believe it is actually caused by the service groping looking at the
printouts. Things like this appear on some of the pages:

GET / HTTP/1.0

while others mention SMB and Microsoft LanMan. On a related note.
service groping also causes tracebacks in the python cherrypy webserver
due to sending improperly formatted headers while trying to determine
the service.

Does anybody know anything about this or how I can get around this?
Is there a way to scan the printers with the rest of the subnet but not
have them spew garbage?
I wonder if it is due to the JetDirect port just printing what it sees?

Any help or feedback appreciated.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon