Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Scanning Printers

From: doug () hcsw org
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 15:29:45 -0700

Hi Hari!

Good question and as Fyodor pointed out in a previous post, the ports
excluded from version scans are specified by the Exclude directive in the
nmap-service-probes file as described here:

http://insecure.org/nmap/vscan/vscan-fileformat.html

The current version

http://insecure.org/nmap/data/nmap-service-probes

has the following line:

Exclude T:9100

so Nmap only excludes TCP port 9100. When I added this feature I didn't
know that some printers also do this on ports 9101-9107! I guess we need
to decide whether to add these ports to the default Exclude directive
or not.

As you realise, the entire practice of skipping version detection on certain
ports opens up a small hole. Hiding daemons on these ports potentially
becomes somewhat easier - except obviously not against intelligent users
like yourself who understand this. :)

I don't know of any other common uses for these ports and see no reason
to not add them to the default Exclude directive. Anyone?

Best,

Doug