Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap 4.20ALPHA5: 9th Birthday Release

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 18:46:50 -0700

I'm pleased to announce the release of Nmap 4.20ALPHA5.  It has a huge
service DB update by Doug, the powerful IP options patch from Majek
(allowing source routing, record-route, etc), and a new Libpcap.
Arguably even more exciting is that Zhao and I have finalized (we
hope) the 2nd generation OS detection system.  So we are now accepting
OS fingerprint submissions from 4.20ALPHA5 users.  Nmap will give you
the URL if it detects a strong fingerprint.  If you know (are
absolutely positive) what is running on that machine, please fill out
the submission form!  The DB is tiny right now, but I'll be
integrating submissions as you send them and hope to release a much
larger DB next week.  You can still use the old system (and its huge
database) with -O1 if you wish to.

The documentation of the new system at
http://insecure.org/nmap/osdetect/ is also in near-final draft form.
But there is still a window to make changes if you have suggestions
for improving the new system.  Changes get progressively harder as the
new DB grows, so now is the best time to read it over!  The first OS
detection system lasted 8 years and I hope the new one will last even
longer while providing more accurate and granular results.

This release also commemorates Nmap's 9th birthday, which is tomorrow.
This leads to the question of what sort of present you should get for
a program that is already a movie star and also has few material needs
beyond a little hard drive space and RAM?  What Nmap wants for its
birthday, more than anything else in the World, are useful patches and
OS fingerprint submissions!

That is enough blabbering from me.  Here are the goods:

http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA5.tar.bz2
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA5-setup.exe
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA5-win32.zip
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA5-1.src.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA5-1.i386.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-frontend-4.20ALPHA5-1.i386.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA5-1.x86_64.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-frontend-4.20ALPHA5-1.x86_64.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA5.tgz

And here are the CHANGELOG entries:

o Worked with Zhao to improve the new OS detection system with
  better algorithms, probe changes, and bug fixes.  We're
  now ready to start growing the new database!  If Nmap gives you
  fingerprints, please submit them at the given URL.  The DB is still
  extremely small.  The new system is extensively documented at
  http://insecure.org/nmap/osdetect/ .

o Nmap now supports IP options with the new --ip-options flag.  You
  can specify any options in hex, or use "R" (record route), "T"
  (record timestamp), "U") (record route & timestamp), "S [route]"
  (strict source route), or "L [route]" (loose source route).  Specify
  --packet-trace to display IP options of responses.  For further
  information and examples, see http://insecure.org/nmap/man/ and
  http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2006/q3/0052.html .  Thanks to Marek
  Majkowski for writing and sending the patch.

o Integrated all 2nd quarter service detection fingerprint
  submissions.  Please keep them coming!  We now have 3,671 signatures
  representing 415 protocols.   Thanks to version detection czar Doug
  Hoyte for doing this.

o Nmap now uses the (relatively) new libpcap pcap_get_selectable_fd
  API on systems which support it.  This means that we no longer need
  to hack the included Pcap to better support Linux.  So Nmap will now
  link with an existing system libpcap by default on that platform if
  one is detected.  Thanks to Doug Hoyte for the patch.

o Updated the included libpcap from 0.9.3 to 0.9.4.  The changes I
  made are in libpcap/NMAP_MODIFICATIONS .  By default, Nmap will now
  use the included libpcap unless version 0.9.4 or greater is already
  installed on the system.

o Applied some nsock bugfixes from Diman Todorov.  These don't affect
  the current version of Nmap, but are important for his Nmap
  Scripting Engine, which I hope to integrate into mainline Nmap in
  September.

o Fixed a bug which would occasionally cause Nmap to crash with the
  message "log_vwrite: write buffer not large enough".  I thought I
  conquered it in a previous release -- thanks to Doug Hoyte for finding a
  corner case which proved me wrong.

o Fixed a bug in the rDNS system which prevented us from querying
  certain authoritative DNS servers which have recursion explicitly
  disabled.  Thanks to Doug Hoyte for the patch.

o --packet-trace now reports TCP options (thanks to Zhao Lei for the
  patch).  Thanks to the --ip-options addition also found in this
  release, IP options are printed too.

o Cleaned up Nmap DNS reporting to be a little more useful and
  concise.  Thanks to Doug Hoyte for the patch.

o Applied a bunch of small internal cleanup patches by Kris Katterjohn
  (kjak(a)ispwest.com).

o Fixed the 'distclean' make target to be more comprehensive.  Thanks
  to Thomas Buchanan (Thomas.Buchanan(a)thecompassgrp.net) for the
  patch.

Enjoy!
Fyodor