Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap crashes under solaris

From: david.vigier () free fr
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 17:56:59 +0200

Hi,

I tried latest nmap version on solaris 9 (sparc & x86). However, when i run a
scan, nmap crashes with "Assertion failed: 0, file scan_engine.cc, line 1683".
It happens when scanning with -sP and -sS scan types (at least). This problem
were not in previous version of nmap (before 3.99).

[I must mention that i compiled nmap with sun cc and so i had to declare
CFLAGS="-D__FUNCTION__=__FILE__" when configuring package to avoid compilation
errors (since cc does not set __FUNCTION__ macro) but i don't think it is
linked to previous error]

Then, i tried nmap version 3.93 and so i noticed that if IP of scanning host is
in scanned network, nmap abort with:
----------
pcap_open_live: lo0: No DLPI device found
There are several possible reasons for this, depending on your operating system:
LINUX: If you are getting Socket type not supported, try modprobe af_packet or
recompile your kernel with SOCK_PACKET enabled.
*BSD:  If you are getting device not configured, you need to recompile your
kernel with Berkeley Packet Filter support.  If you are getting No such file or
directory, try creating the device (eg cd /dev; MAKEDEV <device>; or use mknod).
SOLARIS:  If you are trying to scan localhost and getting '/dev/lo0: No such
file or directory', complain to Sun.  I don't think Solaris can support
advanced localhost scans.  You can probably use "-P0 -sT localhost" though.

So IPs following this one are not scanned. I don't know how to solve this
problem without splitting scan (excluding my own IP).

I hope it will help finding bug(s). If you need more details, don't hesitate to
ask me what you want.

Bye,

dv.