Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: summer of code: netcat

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 02:39:11 -0700

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 01:54:56PM +0200, Jakob Lechner wrote:

in this project idea. I even started programming a little prototype in order
to get
used to the functionality of the nsock library. But then I have found that
there already
exists a nmap-netcat project at sourceforge.
So should this project be used as starting point for the SoC project?

You also proposed to write an own hping. Is this a separate project or
should this
be done together with ncat. Has there already been any nping-project started
or has this
to be done from scratch?

Great questions!  Nping hasn't been done yet, so that should be a
component of your application.  But it won't take a whole summer, so
Ncat is there too.  Why don't you take a look at the existing
nmap-netcat project, then decide whether you wish to epand on that
(and describe how in the application) or write from scratch.  I am
open to both approaches.

Cheers,
Fyodor