Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap -P0 reboots Windows XP

From: Kris Katterjohn <kjak () ispwest com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 15:24:23 -0600

Sean Warnock wrote:
      Doh, two e-mails to the list in one day this may be a record for
me.  The biggest thing I have had for failing RAM in PC's though has
been to run memory test overnight.  This gives the PC plenty of time to
heat cycle.  Sometimes it just take a few hours and a module will start
failing.
Down the lines of Mike's comments you might consider trying out
Microsoft's memory diagnostic (yes it is free and you don't need to have
a validated copy of windows).  It might use a different set of patterns
for testing that match up better with Windows.
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Sean

I did the windiag and it ran for 1.5-2 hours, with the "advanced tests" or
whatever it's called when you hit 'T', and no errors were found.

I'll run memtest86+ overnight tonight. If no errors are found then I'll leave
windiag running tomorrow morning when I'm gone to class.

Thanks,
Kris