Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: nmap -P0 reboots Windows XP

From: "Sean Warnock" <swarnock () warnocksolutions com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 07:35:47 -0800

Bryan wrote:
If you disable auto-reboot on error, do you get a blue screen or error
message?

Regards,

Bryan

On 3/7/06, Kris Katterjohn <kjak () ispwest com> wrote:
I've been using nmap on Linux for several years, but I just tried
nmap for
the
first time on Windows today. I installed WinPcap 3.1 and nmap 4.01
(self-installer).

[I typed this story about the things I tried and the options used,
etc.,
but
it got way too long so I'm just giving you the short version]

After quite a bit of testing, I figured out that SOMETIMES when I hit
^C
while
using the options -sS (I don't type it but it's the default) and -P0,
Windows
will reboot. I've tried it a lot with different scan types etc., but
it
hasn't
happened yet when it wasn't -sS AND -P0. Using -sS without -P0 hasn't
resulted
in a reboot, and neither has -sX, -sA, etc. with or without -P0.

It happens at different times, but most of the time it happens after
the
actual SYN scan starts (judging with -d).

I'd say it reboots about 50% of the time after hitting ^C within 5
seconds
of
nmap starting with those options.

I'll answer any questions and try any suggestions you may have. It's
Windows
XP Home with Service Pack 2.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
Kris Katterjohn

I didn't know you could do that. I googled it, turned it off and got a
BSOD:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

So I googled that and saw that it sometimes comes up because of hardware
failure. I installed some more RAM in that box last week, but haven't
had any
problems with it. It's a lesser used box that dual-boots Windows and
Linux,
but both have been used for normal things and have worked fine.

I took the RAM out, tried nmap about 20 times and Windows didn't reboot
at
all. So the RAM was apparently the root of the problem, but winpcap/nmap
was
the thing that caused it.

Now I'm off to see what I can do about this.....

Thanks a lot,
Kris Katterjohn

OK, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL on Windows is generally a driver fault.
There should be two lines further down that mention what caused the
kernel to halt.  I normally just identify the file listed (ex.
winpcap.sys) and start digging from there.  You may find that it is the
computers network card driver or like my example it may be winpcap that
is crashing.

Sean