Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap -P0 reboots Windows XP

From: Casey Williams <Lists () aviditysoftware com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 12:17:14 -0600

I haven't experienced this with Nmap, however I *have* experienced this with the port scanner I'm
writing, (which also uses WinPCap).  I don't know for certain what causes it, but I have a hunch
that is has to do with the WinPCap driver being unloaded from memory at program termination.  The
only time I've got this BSOD with my scanner is when I close the program, which seems consistent
with your results also.  I've looked into debugging the crash dump that Windows leaves behind
with the Windows debugging tools, but debugging the kernel is a bit over my head.  (I have all
the tools, any help would be much appreciated! :)

If you take this discussion off list, please keep me in the loop!

--
-C

I didn't know you could do that. I googled it, turned it off and got a BSOD:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

So I googled that and saw that it sometimes comes up because of hardware
failure. I installed some more RAM in that box last week, but haven't had any
problems with it. It's a lesser used box that dual-boots Windows and Linux,
but both have been used for normal things and have worked fine.

I took the RAM out, tried nmap about 20 times and Windows didn't reboot at
all. So the RAM was apparently the root of the problem, but winpcap/nmap was
the thing that caused it.

Now I'm off to see what I can do about this.....