Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Asynchronous DNS Patch

From: "Sina Bahram" <sbahram () nc rr com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 11:30:44 -0500

Hi Doug,

I ran the windows binary on xp sp2.

I notice some speed increases, but only after a sort of startup time.

For example, I did a list scan of 256 hosts, and it took it two seconds to
kind of wer up before dumping them all to the screen. I could tell it was
doing it in the background since when they did get dumped to the screen, it
appeared to be all simply IO, not writing it as it goes ...

The interesting part is that I did the same scan again ... Holy cow that was
fast!

So, is that because of caching in the DNS server, or something on your end?
I noticed the same behavior for 32k hosts.

Now, as for the startup time ... I think I might have some ideas on that. I
am guessing since your are doing this in a multithreaded way, you are having
to sort your results ... I want to look at the code, and see if we can
implement something like bucket sort to sort in n time, rather than n*log(n)

Take care,
Sina