Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap GUI

From: Andreia Gaita <shana.ufie () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 08:14:37 -0700

On 6/6/05, Vipe Farcaller <farcaller () gmail com> wrote:
But than we need to store all xml files in some place. The sql way is
clearer because it requires only one database (read: one file).

Well there are pros and cons to every solution... With java, c# and
possibly other languages that have highly developed xml libraries,
it's so much cleaner and easier to manipulate xml files than sql that
one tends to input and output xml directly from the database whenever
possible. Xml can be serialized and unserialized directly to an object
representation, transformed in a variety of ways, automatically
validated, sent across the network seamlessly with soap, and queried
in an sql-like manner, all this while still able to be edited with any
measly text editor, so it's definitely got it's pluses.

More than think about how to store the data though, I think it would
be more useful to build a pluggable way to store and retrive the data,
so that the app doesn't have to know how it's done, and there can be a
variety of different stores available through independent plugins, as
it has already been suggested.

Just my 0.02 euros :p

shana
gone crazy back soon, leave message