Nmap Development mailing list archives

patches against 3.81

From: Martin Mačok <martin.macok () underground cz>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 12:51:15 +0100

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 08:03:30PM -0800, Fyodor wrote:

detect_TARPIT - This is a very cool technique, but I'm not sure it
  belongs in the core distribution.  For example, sometimes you might
  want to scan tarpits.  If it just printed a note in verbose mode
  about potentially tarpitted hosts, that might be better.

I have implemented something similar - in verbose mode, it tells it
detected tarpit during TCP ping and so it is avoiding scanning the
host (and what to do if you want to scan it anyway). Tarpits are meant
to slow down the attackers and IMHO we should speed up the attackers as
a countermeasure ;-)

http://Xtrmntr.org/ORBman/tmp/nmap/nmap-3.78-detect_TARPIT.patch