Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap 3.75 winpcap 3.1b4, winXPsp2 and dial-up...

From: "Craig Humphrey" <Craig.Humphrey () chapmantripp com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:48:55 +1300

Hi People,

OK, finally got fed up with nmap not working with dial-up on my laptop
(actually has a cellular [CDMA-1X] based modem), so upgraded winpcap to
the current 3.1b4 which has the experimental NdisWan support.  But I'm
still not having any luck.

Windump (3.8.3b) correctly reports the interface
(1.\Devices\NPF_GenericNdisWanAdapter (Generic NdisWan adapter)

But when I do an nmap -sP x.x.x.x it reports that the host isn't up.
I've added --packet_trace, -vvvv and run ethereal at the same time.

Nmap completes it's test of two echo-requests and two port 80 checks,
with no errors and no responses.
Ethereal correctly spots the echo-requests, but also sees the
echo-responses.  No sign of the port 80 tests.

Has anyone else had this problem... Or even managed to get it working?

Why does ethereal (0.10.2) work correctly (with it's built-in winpcap),
and nmap fail?

Help!

Thanks
Craig

[next attempt will be to set up the bluetooth networking to my CDMA-EVDO
cellphone and see if nmap works over that... :) ]