Nmap Development mailing list archives

RPC over HTTP

From: "Jon-Erik" <jonerik () myway com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 02:38:43 -0500 (EST)

I do a lot of work (unfortunately) with Windows 2003 servers. I've noticed that nmap returns ports 6000, 6002, and 6004
as X server ports, which, of course, they are on nix systems. But, on a 2k3 server the pattern of these three ports
being open means an Exchange server has implemented RPC over HTTP, which is allegedly a safer way of having Outlook
"just work" remotely.

Without any specific knowledge, I imagine this is a source of many potential vulnerabilities and so anyone hardening a
2k3 server will need to check for it, and, also, it's a pretty clear pattern in terms of OS detection.

Has that been addressed yet? (I'm new to the list)