Nmap Development mailing list archives

Bug or Feature? (Warning: Servicescan failed to fill info_template...)

From: Nathan <nathan.stocks () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 10:10:05 -0700

I have a script that runs nmap from my RedHat 8.0 server against a
bunch of my client's machines and then parses the results.  Here's the
command I use:

./nmap -sT -sV -O -p 1-65535 -oX -  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

The problem is that one of the scans keeps throwing the following
warnings out to stderr, causing my script to fail:

Warning: Servicescan failed to fill info_template (subjectlen: 1448).
Too long? Match string was line 1132: v/Apache httpd/$1/$2
Warning: Servicescan failed to fill info_template (subjectlen: 2583).
Too long? Match string was line 1132: v/Apache httpd/$1/$2

This occurs with all the versions of nmap I tried (3.50, 3.75, 3.81).
The box I'm scanning is a linux box with about 30 open ports.  After
the warnings spit out, the scan finishes like normal.  I don't want to
route stderr to /dev/null, as I would like to know if there are real
scan-stopping errors.  Is this a bug, or is there some setting I can
use to turn this off?

I peeked at the source code of nmap 3.81.  The error is output from
service_scan.cc:779 since dotmplsubst(...) returned a nonzero result,
which I assume from the dotmplsubst comments means that it didn't
successfully substitute stuff in the template.  I included the results
that do come out below (in regular format).

Since the errors above seem to deal with Apache, I'm surprised that
Apache still shows up in the results below.

(The 65513 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT     STATE SERVICE     VERSION
1/tcp    open  tcpmux?
21/tcp   open  ftp?
22/tcp   open  ssh         OpenSSH 3.1p1 (protocol 1.99)
25/tcp   open  smtp        Exim smtpd 4.44
53/tcp   open  domain      ISC Bind Unknown
80/tcp   open  http        Apache httpd 1.3.33
110/tcp  open  pop3
111/tcp  open  rpcbind?
143/tcp  open  imap        UW Imapd 2003.339-cpanel
443/tcp  open  ssl/http    Apache httpd 1.3.33
465/tcp  open  ssl/smtp    Exim smtpd 4.44
993/tcp  open  ssl/imap    UW Imapd 2003.339-cpanel
995/tcp  open  ssl/pop3
2082/tcp open  unknown
2083/tcp open  ssl/unknown
2084/tcp open  unknown
2086/tcp open  unknown
2087/tcp open  ssl/unknown
2095/tcp open  unknown
2096/tcp open  ssl/unknown
3306/tcp open  mysql       MySQL 4.0.23-standard
6666/tcp open  melange     Melange Chat Server 1.10

Any ideas anyone?