Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: How do YOU use Nmap XML?

From: magnus () linuxtag org (Nils Magnus)
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:06:10 +0100

Re,

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 09:40:28AM -0600, Yvan G.J. Boily wrote:

My understanding of it is such that XML elements are used to
encapsulate data sets, while attributes define properties of that
dataset.

Ok, that is an approach.

Since the hosts element details the number of hosts that are up, down,
and the total, this indicates a set of properties of the dataset.  There
is no real way that this data could be extended either; a host is either
up or it is down.  That makes it a discrete value.

Well, technically speaking not really: It can be proven up and sometimes
proven down (say as assumed by a received ICMP host unreachable packet),
but it can also be suspectible of being up or down, even if this is not
implemented at the moment with all that fine grain. Looking at ports
would be a better example.

But I see your point. However, why do we write

  <h1>nmap - the great scanner</h1>

instead of

  <h1 headline="nmap - the great scanner" />

I don't want to start a general discussion about the pros and cons of
XML, though.

Using a full element
would increase the time (trivially) to parse the file, however, the
larger impact is that it is not as readable (to a human).

I like this explanation.

XML is meant to be a format that is interchangeable, but its biggest
advantage over other data formats is that it can be read (ideally) by
people as well as by machines.

I can't agree that this design-goal is attained :(

This is a crucial part of
interoperability as programmers (mostly human) have to be able to read
XML input and output to be able to verify the implementations during the
development cycle.

Ok, I see that point as well, but let's agree on "XML can be used to
be double checked during processing but is not useful for humans to read
(without additional means)". :)

Regards,

Nils Magnus
Program-Chair LinuxTag 2004 Free Conference Program

LinuxTag 2004: Where .com meets .org - magnus () linuxtag org