Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: How do YOU use Nmap XML?

From: "Yvan G.J. Boily" <yboily () seccuris com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:40:28 -0600

By no means am I am XML expert, however I do use XML a lot in the reporting tools I have created for my employer, as
well as my
content management system for my own personal web page.

My understanding of it is such that XML elements are used to encapsulate data sets, while attributes define properties
of that
dataset.

Since the hosts element details the number of hosts that are up, down, and the total, this indicates a set of
properties of the
dataset.  There is no real way that this data could be extended either; a host is either up or it is down.  That makes
it a discrete
value.  Using a full element would increase the time (trivially) to parse the file, however, the larger impact is that
it is not as
readable (to a human).

XML is meant to be a format that is interchangeable, but its biggest advantage over other data formats is that it can
be read
(ideally) by people as well as by machines.  This is a crucial part of interoperability as programmers (mostly human)
have to be
able to read XML input and output to be able to verify the implementations during the development cycle.

Just my opinion... But for what its worth, the reporting tools I mentioned do integrate NMAP output, as well as a
number of other
tools.

Yvan Boily