Nmap Development mailing list archives

Helping NMap Get Better OS Detection

From: "Alan S. Jones" <asj () ipa net>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 21:23:53 -0500

I was wondering does in NMap have a scan setting that says tell me all
about this device from the perspective that if we captured that data we
could send it in to be included in future NMap releases?

For example today I had Nmap scan our Sharp copier/printer and it reported
it as an Okidata printer.  So a future version could say Sharp or Okidata etc?

I have often wondered though as the scanning process gets better if you had
two boxes like two printers that normally might be reported as the same if
in the future they could be reported as being different if we could get
enough details into NMap's database.

On a side note will we see a final binary of NMap 3.51 etc anytime soon?

Keep up the good work.

Alan

--
Alan S. Jones