Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Helping NMap Get Better OS Detection

From: MadHat <madhat () unspecific com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 21:33:11 -0500

On Apr 8, 2004, at 8:24 PM, Alan S. Jones wrote:
I should qualify based on the previous comment, a "report back all" type parameter for an IP address might be a nice parameter to gather detailed
info and get hardware/os signatures on equipment.

I don't think nmap was reporting MAC addresses and I figured it could do
that also.

You can only report the MAC if it is on the local network. If it has to get past switches into another subnet, the MAC is not included. The only way I know around this is to use some protocols that report the MAC, the main one being NetBIOS and the nbtstat packets on udp/137, but without that there is little you can do to get the MAC from a distance.