Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Is Using Linux To Protect Its Own Web Site - hehe

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 03:01:34 -0700

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 11:40:55AM +0200, R Anderson wrote:
cc wrote:
Just wondering.  (Possibly a stupid preference-based question, but would
you suggest users use nmap or Nmapwin? )

Stupid yes, preference no. I'd recommend using Nmapwin when running on a
windows box, and Nmap when not. No other parameters will actually be of
any use ;-)

Normal Nmap runs fine on Windows and binaries (in .zip format) are
available from the Nmap download page.  Nmapwin uses the same Windows
port of Nmap, but adds a pretty GUI for controlling Nmap and
displaying its output.  It is also distributed from the Nmap download
page, but is maintained and packaged by Jens Vogt.  So normally you
would use Nmapwin if you want the GUI, and hardcore command-line
junkies would use the the .zip binaries.  Unfortunately, Nmapwin 1.3.1
uses such an old version of Nmap (I think 3.00) that I would (for now)
recommend that everyone who can handle a command line interface use
the .zip version instead.

Cheers,
Fyodor