Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Is Using Linux To Protect Its Own Web Site - hehe

From: cc <cc () belfordhk com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:44:11 +0800

Fyodor wrote:

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 10:28:14AM -0700, Dave Rugh wrote:

Hi Fyodor,

Can I prove out the story below using NMAP?  If I can, what params should I
have used?

The params I used, and the results (via NMAPWIN) are below)

[ Cut story from
  http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/cmp/13100775 on
  Microsoft using Linux ]

Yes, you can.  The problem is that you are using a year-old version of
Nmap.  Download 3.30 Windows .zip binaries instead of Nmapwin.  It
should show the same (pleasing) results as this:

Hi Fyodor!

Just wondering.  (Possibly a stupid preference-based question, but would
you suggest users use nmap or Nmapwin? )

PORT   STATE  SERVICE
80/tcp open   http
81/tcp closed hosts2-ns
Device type: general purpose
Running: Linux 2.5.X
OS details: Linux Kernel 2.4.18 - 2.5.70 (X86)
Uptime 8.740 days (since Tue Aug 12 19:30:43 2003)

Interesting.  Didn't Gates say something about O/S
stifling innovation?

Btw, it says they are using Linux 2.5.X, but what
exactly would have prevented them from incorporating
Linux code into their internal Windows build and
using it as the firewall or webserver?  Benefit
of both worlds.  If they keep it a secret, then
no one will know and even if we ping their machine
(which may or maynot even be their actual machine),
we'd find a Linux-based kernel.   I know this shows
my ignorance in all things within the packets,
but I'm just curious as to if this is possible.

cc