Nmap Development mailing list archives

coding/design tool

From: "Paul Tod Rieger" <prie () abl com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 16:39:50 -0400

Now that Nmap 2.54BETA4 is C++ clean and no longer requires lex/yacc,
Together (from togethersoft.com) is able to "reverse engineer" it.

I just pointed Together at the nmap source directory, and it generated a UML
class diagram -- a diagram of nmap's data structures and their
relationships.  (I temporarily removed libpcap and nmapfe to keep it
simple.)

The downside: functions do not appear on the diagram because Together
expects C++ class methods.

The upside: Together allows the developer to navigate the source code using
a class tree or the diagram -- click on a class/struct "box" (or a
variable), and its source code appears in the editor.

Even better: change a struct or variable in the diagram, and the source code
is automatically changed -- and vice versa.

If anyone is interested in this, the Together "whiteboard edition" is free
(beer not speech) but doesn't have printing.  It's a Java app, so it runs on
several platforms -- and likes a lot of memory.

Tod
abl.com