Nmap Development mailing list archives

Fastscan of both TCP and UDP

From: Dion Stempfley <dion () riptech com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 16:05:44 -0400

I have been kicking around some features/requirements lately, and
thought I would send this one out for discussion.

I want to be able to do a fast tcp and udp scan in a single command:

nmap -sSU -F host

Currently, the getfastports() will get a single array of all of the
ports to be scanned.  My problem is that since UDP scans can take a lot
longer, I want to limit that part of the  scan to a very small number of
key services.

The ports array is an unsigned short *, so there is no room to store
oddball info like the protocol.  I thought about a screwy mechanism of
using a negative value for udp, but thought that would get errorprone,
and would still require change to the structure.  I then thought about
doing a separate array for tcp and udp ports.

Any thoughts on how best to do this?  Has anyone else thought about the
problem?  Is it worth pursuing?

Dion Stempfley
RIPTECH