nanog mailing list archives

Re: Q: is RFC3531 still applicable?

From: Willy Manga <willym () manbene net>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2024 19:38:08 +0400

.
Message: 11
Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 20:12:31 +0000
From: Mel Beckman<mel () beckman org>
To: Adam Thompson<athompson () merlin mb ca>
Cc: nanog<nanog () nanog org>
Subject: Re: Q: is RFC3531 still applicable?

I never could understand the motivation behind RFC3531. Just assign
/64s. A single /64 subnet has 18,446,744,073,709,551,616  host
addresses.  It is enough. Period.

With IPv6 when you think of assignment to end-user, it's better to think in terms of 'use case' rather than number of hosts within a single network.

As a residential user I might have wifi, voip, TV, CCTV,,... each of them can use its own prefix.

As a bare metal user in a datacenter , I might have different needs when I build any internal networks.

As a corporate user, I think this one is the more obvious.

The only end-user who might stick with a single /64 is
- 1 smartphone
- 1 VM

--
Willy Manga