nanog mailing list archives

Re: N91 Women mixer on Sunday?

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 10:28:50 +0200

On 3/29/24 21:48, Matthew Petach wrote:

I'm with Randy Bush on this.  The stakeholders in that event should have the say in what happens with it; not the rest of us.

While I agree that women would know best how they want to socialize for their own interests, I don't think that men engaging in this discussion means they are necessarily prescribing how women should do that. All I have seen so far are opinions and suggestions to a concern the OP raised, not dictation on what will eventually happen.

Those of us old white males need to check our privilege, and recognize that we've *been* having "mixers" for decades. We don't need to put a stake in the ground and push for our equality; we've already been on the beneficiary side of the
inequality for decades.

I also do not think that male guilt is necessary for women to achieve good outcomes in our shared industry. A complimentary working relationship could be remarkably more productive, than not.

Mark.