nanog mailing list archives

202401101433.AYC Re: EzIP Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block

From: "Abraham Y. Chen" <aychen () avinta com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 22:11:01 -0500

Hi, Enno:

0)    Thanks for your comments referring to historical efforts.

1)    However, the "IPv4 Unicast Extension Project" that your paper cited does not make any specific recommendation about how to utilize the 240/4 netblock uniformly across the entire Internet. Our proposal, EzIP outlines a scheme that makes a clear use of the 240/4 by the general public, basically discouraging disparate private usages. We were very much lost with what has been going on with the 240/4 netblock, because there was no information about who were using it for what. The RIPE-Lab report clarified the fact that it has been fragmented due to unannounced activities by multi-national conglomerates and likely nerds, while under the cover of "Reserved for Future Use".

2)    " As you state yourself this could be considered "unorthodox, if not controversial". ... usually means 'breaks something' ":

    I am afraid that you read into my diplomatic expression too far.

    A.    The first step of the EzIP proposal is to enhance the CG-NAT by providing it with a much larger netblock, as I presume that Karim is looking for. Such process (disabling the program code that has been disabling the use of 240/4) does not need any running code to prove it. To be blunt, anyone who claims that this will be a real task only shows that he does not know his own code.

    B.    The second EzIP step is to utilize RFC791 for setting up end-to-end links which the Internet has not been able to deliver. This is because the current predominant CG-NAT based CDN business is a master-slave model which does not support it. However, this capability is like international postal or telephony services that are not daily needs for everyone. So, it should be treated as a premium service that can be built up with time base on demand.

    Let's not mixing B. with A. as a one-shot job in this discussion.

Regards,

Abe (2024-01-10 22:10 EST)