nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why are paper LOAs still used?

From: Matt Erculiani <merculiani () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 12:13:31 -0700

A paper LOA is a legally binding document, an IRR record is an IRR record.

Falsifying an LOA that is transmitted digitally is wire fraud and can
basically be handed right over to a DA for injunction and prosecution.

Falsifying IRR records on the other hand leaves more work for the ISP's
lawyers to walk a judge (and jury) through the entire purpose and use of
that system, as opposed to "here's a super important sheet of paper that
they lied on case closed".

-Matt

On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 11:57 AM Seth Mattinen via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>