nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why are paper LOAs still used?

From: John Kristoff <jtk () dataplane org>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 13:11:49 -0600

On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 10:57:05 -0800
Seth Mattinen via NANOG <nanog () nanog org> wrote:

Why do companies still insist on, or deploy new systems that rely on
paper LOA for IP and ASN resources? How can this be considered more
trustworthy than RIR based IRR records?

For routing, some have been proposing that the RPKI.  There was some
discussion here a few months ago:

  <https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2023-November/224035.html>

Shortly thereafter this blog post appeared:

  <https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2023-November/224035.html>

And I'm not even talking about old companies, I have a situation
right now where a VPS provider I'm using will no longer use IRR and
only accepts new paper LOAs. In the year 2024. I don't understand how
anyone can go backwards like that.

Did you ask them why or can you name the provider?

John