nanog mailing list archives

Re: [External] Re: IPv6 uptake

From: Tim Howe <tim.h () bendtel com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 09:44:56 -0800

On Mon, 19 Feb 2024 09:16:00 -0800
William Herrin <bill () herrin us> wrote:

I disagree with that one. Limiting discussion to the original security
context (rather than the wider world of how useful IPv6 is without
IPv4), IPv6 is typically delivered to "most people" without border
security, while IPv4 is delivered with a stateful NAT firewall.

        How is v6 being delivered without a stateful firewall while v4
is secured with one?

FWIW, in the decade we have been providing dual-stack by default, I
have made a bit of a hobby out of testing every CPE and SOHO router
that I get may hands on in my PON lab.  I've never once seen a device
that has v6 support and didn't have a stateful v6 firewall on by
default (if v6 was "on").

        By whom and how is this being delivered?

--TimH