nanog mailing list archives

Re: [External] Re: IPv6 uptake

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 09:42:09 -0800

On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 9:23 AM Hunter Fuller <hf0002+nanog () uah edu> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 11:16 AM William Herrin <bill () herrin us> wrote:
There isn't really an advantage to using v4 NAT.
I disagree with that one. Limiting discussion to the original security
context (rather than the wider world of how useful IPv6 is without
IPv4), IPv6 is typically delivered to "most people" without border
security, while IPv4 is delivered with a stateful NAT firewall.

Maybe this is the disconnect. Who delivers v6 without a firewall?

I've done a lot of T-Mobile and Comcast business connections lately,
and those certainly both provide a firewall on v4 and v6. I'll admit
I'm not currently well-versed in other providers (except ones that
don't provide v6 at all...).

Hi Hunter,

You may be right. I haven't ordered SOHO service in a long time and in
fairness you were talking about Joe's Taco Shop not Joe's home
network.

I -suspect- that the wifi router provided for Joe's home network
doesn't do much more than plain routing on the IPv6 side but I do not
know that for a truth. I ordered my wave and comcast services without
a router and I didn't keep the centurylink router long enough to test
whether it did any filtering on IPv6. I noticed no knobs for IPv6
filtering or port forwarding, so I suspect it did not.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin