nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Reg does 240/4

From: Brian Knight via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 15:04:34 -0600

On 2024-02-15 13:10, Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) wrote:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

  The only thing stopping global IPv6 deployment is
  Netflix continuing to offer services over IPv4.

If Netflix dropped IPv4, you would see IPv6 available *everywhere*
within a month.

As others have noted, and to paraphrase a long-ago quote from this mailing list, I'm sure all of Netflix's competitors hope Netflix does that.

I remain hopeful that the climbing price of unique, available IPv4 addresses eventually forces migration to v6. From my armchair, only through economics will this situation will be resolved.

--lyndon

-Brian