nanog mailing list archives

Re: maximum ipv4 bgp prefix length of /24 ?

From: Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 13:46:37 -0700

On Sep 28, 2023, at 23:57, Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard () huawei com> wrote:

Well, it depends.
The question below was evidently related to business.
IPv6 does not have yet a normal way of multihoming for PA prefixes.

The normal way for IETF (which is, IMHO, borked to put it mildly) is to use multiple
prefixes and leave source address selection as an exercise for the victim^wend
user.

The obviously better approach is for anyone who cares about such a thing to get
a /48 and an ASN from their friendly neighborhood RIR and move on.

If IETF (and some OTTs) would win blocking NAT66,

This is an expansion of the problem, not a solution.

Then /48 propoisiton is the proposition for PA (to support multihoming).

If you’re using a /48, why use PA?

Unfortunately, it is at least a 10M global routing table as it has been shown by Brian Carpenter.

Not right away and this is an eventuality we will need to face sooner or later anyway.

Reminder, The IPv6 scale on all routers is 2x smaller (if people would use DHCP and longer than/64 then the scale
would drop 2x additionally).

Which remains a bad idea for so many other reasons in addition to this one.

Hence, /48 proposition may become 20x worse for scale than proposed initially in this thread.

I don’t see it that way.

Routing tables are going to continue to grow regardless of what we do in terms of end site addressing.
Router vendors will build what is needed. The ability to handle a 10M route table is known technology at
this point, and its just a matter of the cost of the line cards.

Owen

Eduard