nanog mailing list archives

Re: Guest Column: Kentik's Doug Madory, Last Call for Upcoming ISOC Course + More

From: Martin Hannigan <hannigan () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 14:12:56 -0400

On Sat, Sep 9, 2023 at 12:30 Tom Beecher <beecher () beecher cc> wrote:

What network does Nanog-news operate?

Marketing email doesn’t  belong on an operational list.  Even if its
NANOG marketing itself.  (Ack Kentik non involvement).

This is the right comment.

The NANOG Mailing List Usage Guidelines  (
https://www.nanog.org/resources/usage-guidelines/ ) are fairly clear
about this.

Posts to NANOG’s Mailing List should be focused on operational and
technical content only, as described by the NANOG Bylaws.
Using the NANOG Mailing List as a source for private marketing
initiatives, or product marketing of any kind, is prohibited.

Sending this type of message to nanog@ is not appropriate, by our own
rules. This issue will be raised at the next members meeting.

Thats great. Thanks. This started to happen sometime around June looking at
the sender address and my inbox.  It would be nice to be opt-in vs opt-out
and that labels are crafted to not confuse the ops list with others. I also
agree with Randy that if we can strip out the trackers here that is key.
Consistent with culture and history. Course adjustment ++.

Hope thats constructive. Thanks!