nanog mailing list archives

Re: [EXTERNAL] Charter DNS servers returning malware filtered IP addresses

From: Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 16:00:25 -0700

On Oct 30, 2023, at 07:58, Livingood, Jason <jason_livingood () comcast com> wrote:

On 10/27/23, 19:01, "NANOG on behalf of Owen DeLong wrote:

If it’s such a reasonable default, why don’t any of the public resolvers (e.g. 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8, 9.9.9.9, etc.) do
so?
DNS isn’t the right place to attack this, IMHO.

Are we sure that the filtering is done in the default view - I would suggest the user check to ensure they don't have
a filtering service (e.g. parental controls/malware protection) turned on. In my **personal** opinion, the default
view should have DNSSEC validation & no filtering; users can always optionally select additional protection services
that might include DNS-based filtering as well as other mechanisms.

JL

Looks like 9.9.9.9 is filtered but ONLY for actual verified security threats, not spam, etc.
If you want unfiltered, they offer 9.9.9.10.

Cloudflare offers two different filtered services, but 1.1.1.1 remains unfiltered.

1.1.1.2 is “No Malware”
1.1.1.3 is “No Malware or Adult Content”

So yes, apparently one (and only one) public resolver now filters by default.

I stand by my statement… It should be an opt-in choice, not a default.

Owen