nanog mailing list archives

Re: Charter DNS servers returning malware filtered IP addresses

From: "John Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 28 Oct 2023 11:58:14 +0200

It appears that  <niels=nanog () bakker net> said:
* Owen DeLong [Sat 28 Oct 2023, 01:00 CEST]:
If it’s such a reasonable default, why don’t any of the public
resolvers (e.g. 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8, 9.9.9.9, etc.) do so?

It's generally a service that's offered for money. Quad9 definitely
offer it: https://www.quad9.net/service/threat-blocking

Not really for money.  Quad9, Cloudflare, and OpenDNS provide filtered DNS for free.

There are expensive versions for enterprise networks but there's
plenty of malware filtering DNS for users.

I'm with you about the purity argument. While it certainly would be
possible to use DNS filtering for political reasons (the "family
friendly" versions arguably do that), the amount of malware and phish
is a large and real threat.

By the way, don't miss Interisle's new report on the cybercrime
supply chain.  They (we, actually) found five millions domains
used in crime of at least a million were registered only to do crime.

https://interisle.net/CybercrimeSupplyChain2023.html

R's,
John