nanog mailing list archives

RE: Starlink routing

From: "Chris J. Ruschmann" <chris () scsalaska net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 22:18:00 +0000

Don’t quote me on this, but I wouldn’t say they are doing anything different than you or I can do and have access to on
the routing layer. It's probably just Nokia and Arista and whatever those systems provide. Stuff like Tunneling, ECMP,
BFD and VxLan... Think spatially coordinated Zerotier and not based on latency. They also have a pretty good team of
experts that have experience with large scale networking and automation they've plucked from various places.

How the Satellites talk to the end users is where all the magic is. But my understanding is that it's all custom
developed networking as code that handles all the frequency coordination and hand offs with the ground.