nanog mailing list archives

Re: Typical last mile battery runtime (protecting against power cuts)

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 09:51:09 +0200

On 2/6/23 07:42, Sabri Berisha wrote:

There were few raindrops, so we have an outage. Again.

I timed it. It took me less than 4 minutes to get it up and running.

Oh, and you were right about the UPS batteries. The UPS on top of my
garage door opener died halfway through opening the door.

You could try the 12V 7Ah Li-Ion batteries for your UPS, if you don't want to have to think about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-HWE-Lithium-LiFePO4-Outdoor/dp/B095K38M6C

It comes with a BMS, so you don't have to worry about under- or over-voltage.

Silicon Valley, the most technological place on earth, and I can't
even have stable power.

I think power companies don't evolve at the same rate as computers :-).

Mark.