nanog mailing list archives

Re: Typical last mile battery runtime (protecting against power cuts)

From: Sabri Berisha <sabri () cluecentral net>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 13:36:00 -0800 (PST)

----- On Feb 3, 2023, at 9:05 PM, Mark Tinka mark@tinka.africa wrote:

On 2/3/23 21:11, Sabri Berisha wrote:

Hi Mark,

Living in an area served by PG&E, I've had my share of power cuts. At home
I have a 600va UPS that protects my cable modem, RPI router, and POE switch
which serves 2 APs. That lasts about 30 minutes, which gives me enough time
to fire up my generator.

I'd assume it doesn't take you that long to fire up the genie, if you
are home when the power goes out :-).

Yes, there have been times where I wasn't at home.

Out of interest, depending on how long you've had the UPS, how many
times have you changed the battery?

All the "small" ones, I bought in 2019, they still work fine. I have one larger
UPS for my homelab in my garage that I've had since 2014; I changed the
batteries in that last year.

Tip of the day: I also have a 1000va UPS that protects my garage door opener.
This makes it a lot easier to a. get a car out if needed, and b. get my
generator out of the garage.

In South Africa, garage door motors historically come standard with a
12V 7Ah Lead Acid battery. What most people don't realize is that within
1.5 to 2 years, those batteries are dead, and since there was power most
of the time, they never noticed, until the power went out and the
battery did not have sufficient energy to drive the motor.

Those must be different from ours, because we don't have that...

So far, my current ISP (Spectrum cable) has had 0 outages as a result of
power loss. Which is pretty impressive, given the instability of the grid
in this area.

Not bad.

Pretty impressive. How do they do that in SA?

Thanks,

Sabri