nanog mailing list archives

Re: Interesting Ali Express web server behavior...

From: Giorgio Bonfiglio via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 09:40:01 +0000

How big would a network need to get, in order to come close to exhausing RFC1918 address space? […] If one was to
allocate 10 addresses to each host, that means it would require 1,789,132 hosts to exhaust the space.
Total availability is not usually the problem - poor allocation of space done in the 80s is.

I’ve worked with a telco a while ago which had ‘run out of 10/8’ by having allocated multiple /16s to their largest
sites for lan/mgmt/control. The plan to ‘free up IP space’ included resetting practically every 20 years old air
conditioner they had in the country and put them in a different subnet, same for fire and access control systems (air
conditioners and fire control specifically didn’t support IP address change, you had to drop the entire config).

If you think about the scale of the operation then suddenly 33/8 becomes very, very appealing.

- Christopher H.