nanog mailing list archives

Re: Alternative Re: ipv4/25s and above Re: 202211210951.AYC

From: Lincoln Dale <ltd () interlink com au>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 14:44:31 +1100

On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 11:20 AM Joe Maimon <jmaimon () jmaimon com> wrote:

Indeed that is exactly what has been happening since the initial
proposals regarding 240/4. To the extent that it is now largely
supported or available across a wide variety of gear, much of it not
even modern in any way.

As someone who has been involved in the deployment of network gear into
class E space (extensively, for our own internal reasons, which doesn't
preclude public use of class E), "largely supported" != "universally
supported".

There remains hardware devices that blackhole class E traffic, for which
there is no fix. https://seclists.org/nanog/2021/Nov/272 is where I list
one of them. There are many, many other devices where we have seen
interesting behavior, some of which has been fixed, some of which has not.

cheers,

lincoln.