nanog mailing list archives

Re: Alternative Re: ipv4/25s and above Re: 202211210951.AYC

From: Joe Maimon <jmaimon () jmaimon com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 23:15:29 -0500

Lincoln Dale wrote:
On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 11:20 AM Joe Maimon <jmaimon () jmaimon com <mailto:jmaimon () jmaimon com>> wrote:

    Indeed that is exactly what has been happening since the initial
    proposals regarding 240/4. To the extent that it is now largely
    supported or available across a wide variety of gear, much of it not
    even modern in any way.

As someone who has been involved in the deployment of network gear into class E space (extensively, for our own internal reasons, which doesn't preclude public use of class E), "largely supported" != "universally supported".

There remains hardware devices that blackhole class E traffic, for which there is no fix. https://seclists.org/nanog/2021/Nov/272 is where I list one of them. There are many, many other devices where we have seen interesting behavior, some of which has been fixed, some of which has not.

cheers,

lincoln.

And I am sure you would agree that un-reserving a decade ago would have more than likely resulted in a greatly improved situation now. Along the lines that doing so now could still result in a greatly improved situation a decade hence. Should we still need it.

Joe