nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

From: Aaron Wendel <aaron () wholesaleinternet net>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 13:30:35 -0500

On 5/24/2022 10:48 AM, Mitchell Tanenbaum via NANOG wrote:

I have two fixed wireless Internet connections here.  One is 25/5, the other is 35/5.  There is no cable, no fiber, no cellular, not even DSL from the phone company.  That is reality in metro Denver, CO (actually, the foothills, 25 miles from the state Capitol building).

Regarding Starlink, no, you can’t get it.  I paid my deposit a year and a half ago and I am still on the waiting list.  Every time that I get close to the date they promise, they change the promise. Maybe I will get Starlink service some time in the future, but, not any time soon.

Oh, yeah, and 25 meg down costs $75 a month.  If you want VoIP, that is another $20+.

So not only is it slow, it is expensive too.

So yes, there still is a problem, right here in America.  And not just in the boonies.

Mitch

This brings up another issues no one is really talking about and that's affordability.  We're about to lower our price on 10G to the home to $50/mo because that was the number the FCC would pay people who qualified.  Now they've lowered that subsidy to $30.  The pandemic exposed the fact that there are a lot of people out there that just can't afford the current pricing structure.  We give a gig away for free with a one time install fee and we had people calling us who's kids were at home for school and they couldn't afford the $25/mo we'd break their $300 install into.  We ended up just waiving a ton of fees during those early COVID days.

Aaron