nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 15:39:11 -0700

On 5/23/22 3:26 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
Is it?

What’s the bandwidth of a good quality 4K stream? What about 4 of them + various additional interactive technologies, software downloads, media downloads, etc.?

Looking at the graphs, my household (which isn’t average by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a household) doesn’t need a gig very often, but there are the occasional multiple hours where my Gig downstream does flatline at about 950Mbps.

So I’d say that I make sufficiently frequent use of the gig that is available as to render it unlikely I would be satisfied with less bandwidth.

If you're going to use downloads as the benchmark, what about 10G or 40G as the baseline? I mean, that's an unwinnable treadmill.

But from my reading about 25Mbs is just on the edge of being ok with 4k. Certainly 100Mbs would be fine for multiple streams.

Mike