nanog mailing list archives

Re: Any sign of supply chain returning to normal?

From: Jason Biel <jason () biel-tech com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 11:00:50 -0500

The oem ain't gonna support the resold device either.

Many vendors support resold gear through a recertification cost in order to
bring it back under a support contract.

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 10:58 AM Dave Taht <dave.taht () gmail com> wrote:

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 10:33 AM Jason Biel <jason () biel-tech com> wrote:

Who's going to support that reflashed device? Certainly not the OEM
vendor.

The oem ain't gonna support the resold device either.

Yes, arguably, someone or someones doing a value add would have to be
making money at it somehow.

However, at least in my world, volunteers make the world round, still.
It would kind of suck,
I suppose, if someone unleashed a few hundred thousand reflashed
routers like the TIP openwifi
effort ( https://telecominfraproject.com/ ) seem to intent on doing...

... but if the OS is good enough to not need support, the impact is
minimal.