nanog mailing list archives

Re: PoE, Comcast Modems, and Service Outages

From: Jay Hennigan <jay () west net>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 13:25:57 -0700

On 3/29/22 11:21, Aaron de Bruyn via NANOG wrote:
I just got off the phone with a Comcast tech, and wanted to double-check my sanity.

Somehow in the last 6 months I've managed to reach the exact same rep twice when dealing with an outage or a degraded service event.

I asked him to remotely reboot the modem because there was high packet loss.

Both times I've talked with him, he noted the high packet loss, started to reboot the modem, and then asked me point-blank if we had any PoE switches on our network.

When I said "yes", he said I needed to disable PoE because it messes with the Comcast modems and he can see "buildups" in his graphs that show power is "leaking" to the Comcast modem every 24 hours.

Obligatory relevant xkcd: https://xkcd.com/806/

--
Jay Hennigan - jay () west net
Network Engineering - CCIE #7880