nanog mailing list archives

Re: V6 still not supported

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 16:31:24 -0700

On 3/18/22 2:32 PM, surfer () mauigateway com wrote:

On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 13:47:00 -0700, Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com> wrote:

I'd really like to understand what the requirements that are specific to
v6 are that make it so much harder or bloated. Not product availability,
but actual things that make it difficult to deploy.

It's all in the nanog archives.  Just the amount of grumping by network operators to finally get DHCPv6 was pretty tremendous. Basically, folks were shouting "we want it whether you think we need it or not!"  Of course, that's just the start.  This thread itself has a lot of the iceberg tops.

That was almost 20 years ago. Anything a little more contemporary? I know about Android's aversion to DHCPv6, but that is not a standards problem it's a vendor being a PITA.

Mike