nanog mailing list archives

Re: 202203071610.AYC Re: Making Use of 240/4 NetBlock

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 20:16:13 -0800

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 7:51 PM Abraham Y. Chen <aychen () avinta com> wrote:
1)    " ...  should be ...  ":    Instead of "hand wave", this is a diplomatic expression to challenge the software
engineers' knowledge of the networking program code for the current case. Ever since we started our study, we were
quite puzzled by why the 240/4 netblock was regarded so special? Why no one could tell us what led to its current
status, and even after IPv4 was set to transition to IPv6?

https://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-ipv4-special-registry/iana-ipv4-special-registry.xhtml

Which leads to RFC 1112 section 4, the disposition of which last
changed in 1989.

You are now informed about its current status along with when and how
it got to be that way.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--