nanog mailing list archives

Re: VoLTE and SRTP

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 14:22:25 -0800

On 3/8/22 2:17 PM, Brandon Svec wrote:
I also read that the Russian military is depending on the mobile network for some (much?) of their own communication which isn't that surprising if the stories about their general ineptness are to be believed.  Maybe the reverse is happening and Ukraine and allies are listening in on Russian soldiers?  I would also think it serves a purpose to track targets in either direction too.

The article made reference to what I guess is the equivalent to CALEA which puzzles me because the telco is the one that implements that and they need authorization. I suppose the Russians could hack that, but the Ukrainians could just ask for it. I'm betting that the article is as good as its cost.

Mike