nanog mailing list archives

Re: Scanning the Internet for Vulnerabilities

From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg () tristatelogic com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 01:24:28 -0700

In message <4e6319ba-d332-f25e-d128-1b8abc724039 () si6networks com>,
Fernando Gont <fgont () si6networks com> wrote:

Depending on who is doing it, and why, my personal feeling is that even
here in 2022 this should still be viewed as being exceptionally anti-social,
and worthy of calling out publicly, but I must allow for the possibility
that my personal views on this may be antiquated and out of step with current
prevailing norms and attitudes.

Aside from what I've noted above, and without really taking a stance on
whether what you not might or might not make sense, I'd probably argue
that, the folks that one should probably e most concerned about would
probably run the scans from VMs they probably paid with cryptocurrency.
 The attacks would probably be non-trivial to attribute...

Yes, to all of the above.

But there are always exceptions. :-)

Regards,
rfg