nanog mailing list archives

Re: Upstream bandwidth usage

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 10:31:47 +0200

On 6/10/22 09:52, Vasilenko Eduard via NANOG wrote:

I did believe that it is about the cost of SFP on the CPE/ONT side: 5$ against 7$ makes a big difference if you
multiply by 1000000.

By the way, there are many deployments of 10G symmetric PON. It was promoted for "Enterprise clients".
CPE cost hurts in this case.
But some CPE could be 10GE and another 1GE upstream (10G downstream) on the same tree.

Yes, XG-PON.

Most FTTH operator stories I've heard of are still running regular GPON, thought.

Seems XG-PON has a high barrier-to-entry for el-cheapo home consumers.

Mark.