nanog mailing list archives

Re: home router battery backup

From: Grant Taylor via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 14:45:32 -0700

On 1/17/22 2:24 PM, Aaron C. de Bruyn via NANOG wrote:
My "small" (< ~5,000 customers) ISP won't uncheck that box for me no matter how much I beg, plead, or offer to bring them snacks for their office.

Chuckle.

They keep mumbling stuff about FCC requirements which I suspect is just handwaving.  Oh well...it's on a generator-protected outlet now.

I've been known to find a crack in such armor when I start asking for information on the regulation so that I can read up on it and learn ~> understand it. If it's real, they can usually get it to me in a week or so. If it's fake, I get crickets until I push and escalate for the information, at which point I find out "it's company policy".

Policy can be a double edge sword, especially when you find an example of them violating their own policy. }:-)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die